07/11/2018 e 09/11/2018
ECOMONDO - The Green Technologies Expo
Entrance to the fair Ecomondo;
Dissemination POREM: Description brochure (07/11/2018)
Stand ENEA: brochure POREM, LIFETAN and posters on emerging technologies in tanning (PODEBA-LIFETAN)
Photo on the ENEA stand for POREM (07/11/2018)
meeting wiht con Francesca Cappellano, responsible ENEA
Bologna of the Circular Economy (09/11/2018)
Kick-off Technical and Administrative Meeting
Date: Monday, 15th October 2018
Place: SOLDANO premises, Contrada La Storta, 89844 Limbadi (Vibo Valentia) - Italy
Time: 09:15 to 13:00
Invited partners: All partners are invited to attend this meeting
09:15 [SOLDANO] Welcome and opening of the meeting
09:20 [All] Presentation of Partners
Each partner will prepare a power point presentation
10:00 [SOLDANO] POREM management:
Grant Agreement with the EC
Management and coordination
Administrative and financial issues:
11:00 Coffee break
11:30 POREM Technical issues:
[SOLDANO] Project objectives and technical Actions
[SOLDANO] Technical activities to be carried out in the first six months of the project
[All] Discussion on first scheduled actions
12:30 [SOLDANO] POREM Dissemination issues
13:15 Tour of SOLDANO company
Project LIFE17 ENV/IT/333
Poultry manure based bioactivator for better soil management through bioremediation (POREM)
Poultry manure based bioactivator for better soil management through bioremediation
An estimated 45% of European soils are potentially subjected to degradation: new strategies for improving soils quality are necessary.
As an overall objective, the proposed project intends to DEMONSTRATE the efficiency of applying innovative- and low-cost effective technologies for restoration of soils low organic matter soil, also in semiarid areas. Particularly, we aim to demonstrate the applicability of poultry manure, treated according to EP 1314710*, for soil restoration/ bioremediation, avoid degradation, fix C in the soil, put P as struvite and increase biological quality (edafic fertility), in terms of bulk density and aggregates, N content, total biodiversity and plant yield.
It's a new technique that goes beyond soil fertilization and soil amendment, looking for a tool for regenerating and boosting productivity. It is also addressed to soil microorganisms, with supply of enzymes that can help regeneration of degraded soils.
In the meanwhile, this application can find a new collocation for poultry manure, very often produced in restricted areas, with difficulties for their correct disposal, as agr-oindustrial by-product.
The specific objectives are:
Objective 1 To demonstrate the restoration capacity of repeated applications of poultry manure (properly treated) to 3 selected soils in experimental zones, located in the Region of Murcia (Spain), in semi-arid climate, in Apulia (Italy) and replicability in exploited soils in Czech Areas
Objective 2 To guarantee transferability and replicability of soil restoration, by providing technical training and supporting tools for the case-to-case identification and implementation of the best technique and by using all media available to actively transfer knowledge at all levels, local, national and European.
Objective 3 To provide public administration, which work on environmental and soil aspects, tools for assessing soil restoration policies and agricultural management strategies, as well as subsequent implementations of projects in order to translate in practice these policies
Objective 4 To increase awareness and support soil sector by providing cost-effective solutions that include more efficient techniques that may also improve profitability.
Objective 5 To identify and involve all relevant stakeholders related to water issues. This in turn will aim to integrate social, environmental and economic components of the soil restoration.
Actions and means involved:
Actions and means to achieve the objectives are organized as follow:
Implementation actions (B) encompass actions to enable transferability and replicability by means of technical courses to public administration and professionals and guidelines to support the identification and the "know-how" to implement the suitable technique in each case. The main demonstration activities related to Objectives 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5:
- production of POREM bioactivator.
- Different heaps (pilot production) in Italy, in Spain and then in Czech Republic will be set up, in order to obtain the POREM bioactivator for field application. Process parameters will be “handled” according to process characteristics: the heaps will be ripen for different time to fully monitor the degree of homogeneity of the ripening and final product “quality.
Monitoring actions (C) include different methodologies to measure the environmental, social and economic impacts of the project. The main monitoring activities related to Objectives 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5:
- VAP composition, sanitization, final quality bioactivator and enzymatic profile will be performed
- Soils restoration (microclima)will be monitored by chemical, physical, microbiological and new OMI Cs methodologies (CEBAS, ENEA, EPS). Crop productivity will be monitored by ASTRA.
- LCA evaluation
Public awareness and dissemination actions (D) include activities to involve all relevant stakeholders related to water issues. Results will be disseminated by using project website and collaborators and other networking tools (Facebook, Twitter). Peer reviewed international publications will be also provided. Participation at national and international conferences and events will be foreseen. Specific dissemination material will be designed, produced and distributed to all relevant stakeholders and general public. The dissemination actions encompass an itinerary with information panels about the techniques and expected results. A Post LIFE communication plan is considered where commitments acquired by the partners regarding the continuation of the project will be included. These activities will mainly contribute to the Objectives 2 and 5.
Project management actions (E) will be conducted by Soldano to guarantee the proper development of the project's actions and the achievement of the project's objectives. Besides, the coordination of actions and involved partners is crucial in this project due to the interdependences among the proposed actions.
Expected results (outputs and quantified achievements):
The specific POREM technical results will be:
-- To demonstrate the applicability of a treatment to obtain from poultry manure an organic fertilizer bio-activator with reduced odor impact (80% NH3 emission in comparison with fresh ones), reduced salinity (<5 dS/m), 40% P contained in struvite compound.
- To demonstrate the environmental benefits of the POREM Project in relation to the Soil Protection Thematic strategy of the EU at the local and global level, as well as estimate future applications.
- An increased fertility of soils after 2 years measured as Organic Matter content and edafic fertility
- To increase bulk density (20%) and aggregates (20%)
- To increase soil organic C (40%), and water soluble C (40%)
- To increase total N (40%) and total P (25%)
- To increase total biodiversity (measured as PLFAs): +25% in total bacteria and fungi
- Plant test assay: to increase plant yield, +35%
- Improved soil management in terms of reduced input (mineral fertilizers and water)
- Proof of technical and economic viability and socioeconomic impact achieved as well as estimates of the socioeconomic impact of future applications.
- To provide a low-cost technological guide for soil restoration and the application of treated poultry manure.
The following outputs will contribute to objectives 2, 3, 4 and 5:
- Technical Guideline
- Technical training course
- 4 project workshops
- 2 peer reviewed scientific papers
- 15 articles in general newspapers and 2 TV participations
- 10 participations at national and international conferences, fairs and other events
- Creation of an active network with 10 projects which will facilitate the exchange of information among consortia who work or have worked in the past on topics related to the project’s.
- contacts with minimum 10 of people between institutions and policy makers from different EU and National institutions
Regarding transferability and awareness the following outputs will be provided:
- 1 website and Facebook profile page
- 12 notice boards, 10.000 Brochures, 1 roll-up, 12 posters, 2.500 gadgets
- 1 project video
- Layman report