POREM monitoring report December 2019, related to months October, November and December 2019
The main activities carried out for each POREM Action in progress during the months October, November and December, were:
- Implementation actions
Action B.1: Pilot production of poultry manure based (POREM) bioactivator for soil bioremediation at pilot scale
POREM bioactivator production in Italy was completed in September 2019.
On the basis of I cycle POREM bioactivator production experience (both organization and results), the design and organization of II cycle has started among all beneficiaries, as discussed and defined also during the project meeting in Murcia on 26th of November 2019. A technical meeting between ASTRA, ENEA and CEBASCSIC was organized on December 11th, in Bologna, in order to define the best organization for POREM bioactivator production and monitoring for II cycle. A meeting between ASTRA and AMEK was organized on December 12th, in order to define the amount and scheduling of VAP requirements for II cycle.
Micronadir was in charged to establish 7 pilots replication of pilot production of POREM by using VAP produced by ASTRA, following instructions through CEBAS partner. It was prepared 4 piles of 3000 kg of poultry manure plus VAP and other 3 piles of 3000 kg where no VAP was added that they were considered as control. No turned or movement of the piles were produced, with the exception to the sampling times, that they were produced with low incidence on the whole pile. The process duration was 120 days for 6 of the piles and the 7th pile of VAP was left one month more. The samples taken and the final pile was analysed by CEBAS.
Related to this Action, Micronadir started the contact to the Farmer association ASAJA in Madrid, trying to obtain their feed back to use the chicken manure as it is used nowadays.
Cycle II of the POREM bioactivator production is planned:
- at SOLDANO in Italy for the period Jan/Feb 2020
- at MICRONADIR in Spain for the period Apr/May 2020
- at EPS in Czech Republic for the period May/August 2020.
Action B.2: Degraded soil bioremediation in Spain, Italy and Czech with POREM bioactivator
- Italy, ASTRA in Emilia Romagna Region: The tomato test was finalized within beginning of October 2019: the last assessments and the final samplings were performed as scheduled; one sample of soil per each treatment; one sample of fruits and above ground plant parts -without fruits- carried out separately per each of the 4 replicates per treatment. Dried fruit samples, dried plant parts and soil samples were sent to CEBAS - CSIC for characterization analysis. The new test to be carried out is foreseen from June/July 2020 to September 2020: the new crop scheduled is the head cabbage and the test will be executed on the same land and plot layout of the previous tomato test.
- Italy, in Apulia (Puglia) Region: The barley test was started. The initial soil samples (two samples per treatment) were sent to CEBAS - CSIC for the analysis characterization during the first week of October. At the beginning of December the barley crop was sown. The first assessment is scheduled for about one month after sowing, at the full emergence of the crop; last assessment scheduled within June 2020.
- Spain, MICRONADIR, coordinated by CEBASCSIC, has carried out a strategy to improve soil quality and fertility, avoiding degradation processes. It has consisted of applying the POREM biofertilizer obtained in Spain, to a degraded soil under semi-arid climate, at two different doses (150 and 250 t / ha). A total of 15 plots (soil amended with poultry manure, biofertilizer POREM and control soil), have been included in an experimental area (Santomera, Murcia, Spain). Soils will be sampled for analysis during 2020; CEBASCSIC will analysis these soil samples.
- Czech Republic: EPS, as declared in the project proposal, EPS participates on the cycle II realization. Soil bioremediation is thus planned to commence in September 2020 at EPS.
Action B.4: Training courses, workshops and guidelines for project replicability and transferability
- Italy ASTRA: a workshop is planned for January 2020
- Spain MICRONADIR: it has started the Workshop organization through the external service of the company Verticesur: contact to the main farm Associations involving them into the active participation in the Workshop. The workshop is planned for the first semester of 2020: it will be the time to call the attention of local and national main newspaper, radio and TV.
- Czech Republic EPS: a workshop is planned for the year 2021
Action B.5: POREM Business Plan
During the project meeting in Murcia on 26th of November 2019 the project partners started to define and discuss some topics, needs and interest related to the POREM business plan.
- Monitoring of the impact of the project actions
Action C.1: Monitoring the low cost technologies used in soil restoration
- Italy: ENEA
ENEA has gone on with the characterization of the POREM samples from the Spanish and Italian sites of the 2019 campaign. The experimental campaign on Italian POREM samples is finished, both in Calabria and Puglia production sites, therefore these analyses are completed. The physical-chemical characterization is performed with:
- Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA): to measure thermal stability and detect decomposition phases (ΔT and % mass loss);
- X-ray diffractometric analysis (XRD): to detect mineralogical phases;
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM- EDS): to analyse morphological structure and carry out semi-quantitative analysis.
With reference to monitoring gas system, a comparison between the 2 systems (inside the pile and on its surface) was performed and the elaboration of obtained results started.
- Spain: CEBASCSIC
All samples collected during the POREM process carried out in Calabria, Puglia and Murcia (pilot experiment conducted in 2019 with poultry manure and VAP, sampling to different times), were sent to CEBASCSIC for analysis. Once dried and sieved, the following parameters were analyzed: humidity; volatile organic matter; pH; electric conductivity; macro and microelements (N, P, K, Ca, Mg, Mn, Na, heavy metals, etc); anions (chlorides, nitrates, phosphates); carbon fractions (total organic carbon, water soluble carbon, carbon of humic substances); phytotoxicity on seeds in Petri dish; respiration of microorganisms by release of CO2; enzymatic activities related to the cycles of C, N and P; membrane lipid profile to know biodiversity (PFLAs). With all these data, the corresponding deliverables will be developed.
Micronadir was in charge to measure the gas emissions from the 7 different plots. For this purpose a multigas equipment (G5000 Geotech) were used to measure inside and outside of the pile MICRONADIR. The gases measured were CH4, CO2, O2, SH2 and NH4 at each sampling time. After the first measurements the measurements started to be wrong mainly due that NH4 was out of range with a very high levels that it blocked the system and no accurate measurements for the other gases were produced. Nowadays, it is solved by using NH4 traps that will retains the ammonium on it and the rest of gases will be measured on site. For ammonium, destructive samples will be taken.
- Czech Republic: EPS
So far, suitable monitoring tools have been selected and acquired or designed and the monitoring protocol drafting is under progress at EPS. The realization of this activity will commence in cycle II, starting in May 2020.
Action C.2: Monitoring of degraded soils
- Italy: ASTRA
Field and laboratory results from tomato test carried out by ASTRA in Cesena (FC) have been analysed and presented to project meeting in Murcia on 26th of November 2019. La variance was analysed with ANOVA and positive significative differences have been highlighted for some parameters.
- Czech Republic: EPS
The realization of this activity at EPS will commence in cycle II, starting in May 2020.
Action C.3: Monitoring of socio-economic impact of the project and LCA
For the life cycle assessment of the technology, a first draft of data collection sheets has been set.
Action C.4: Performance indicators monitoring
The KPI were reviewed and confirmed during the project meeting in Murcia on 26th of November 2019.
- Public awareness and dissemination of results
Action D.1: Project dissemination plan: web-site, material, articles, Layman’s report and video
- website visitors: 42,782
- facebook page: 82 friends
- fifty brochures for the first event of
- poster at ECOMONDO 2019, for SUN (Symbiosis Users Network) conference.
- extended abstract for a volume on SUN site, containing the proceedings Conference at ECOMONDO 2019.
Action D.2: Project dissemination plan: events, networking and contacts with Institutions and policy makers
Participation at the following fairs and congresses:
- MATERIALIZZANDO (Oct-10-2019 Faenza RA): the exhibition organized to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the invention of the Periodic Table by Dmitri Mendelev. The exhibition aimed at engaging the general public, especially younger generations, by offering them informational and educational activities about materials and their sectors of application- POREM project dissemination through the brochures description.
- ECOMONDO 2019 (Nov-07-2019 Rimini RN): the Green Technology Expo, an international exhibition that brought together all sectors of the circular economy in a single platform, from material and energy recovery to sustainable development- POREM project dissemination through presentation of the poster Assessment of the new POREM bio-activator for better soil management.
- ENVISHOP 2019 (Nov-28-2019, Prague): Project roll-up placement at the speakers platform. There were 70 participants including speakers from Ministry of Finance CZ, Ministry for Regional Development and Czech association of remediation companies
- Project management
Action E1: Project management
- project meeting in Murcia on 26th of November 2019
- monthly meetings between ASTRA and ENEA were organized
- predisposition, on-line submission and sending of all the documents for the POREM amendment request related to the coordinator change from SOLDANO to ASTRA.